Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Toughest Month

Blame it on the economy, blame it on a business decision that did not work out quite as planned. Blame it on me. My lease was up at the end of February and I decided there was no point in renewing. It feels like the first step in a dismantling of my business. The end of a long era in my life.

No rescue for me, I'm sure. I'll not expect anyone to ride up and hand me some bailout money. It's a small business, after all, one of many.

But I really don't want that anyway. Just want my office back. Sure, I can work quite comfortably from my home office, a study I built a long time ago and there is the elimination of a long commute to Springfield and back.

But I miss the place. More for what it represented than for what it really was. The office was a stage where ideas were bantered and discussed, many pitched out with the trash but a few really good ones that stuck. And it was a place to have a cup of coffee, share thoughts, fret, converse, laugh, worry, the range of human emotions.

It was only a place, but it was my place. My place in the world.

No comments: