Thursday, January 24, 2008

First Peek

Yesterday, I got a chance to see my first grandbaby for the very first time. I don't want to sound like some wayward grandparent, so let me clear that up by saying I saw her with a 3D ultrasound. She's due to arrive somewhere around March 18 but I welcomed the opportunity to take a sneak peek.

The nurse pointed out all these wonderful and amazing features - nose, fingers, big toe. I couldn't see any of it. Nothing. Everyone else in the room seemed to, or said they did. But I didn't. Oh, I tried. Strained my eyes, squinted, tilted my head, but all in a vain effort to see what they saw.

Soon I discovered that 3D ultrasounds are a lot like those pictures you see on the comics page in the Sunday paper. You have to stare at the meaningless series of images, really concentrate, then Bam! A 3D picture suddenly appears. And my little granddaughter did, too.

She covered her face with her tiny hands for a while, then did a "peek-a-boo" tease, and we finally saw her chubby little cheeks and her beautiful little face. At one point, she even treated us to a very clear, discernible smile.

Now, people will tell you that babies do not smile. They say it's just gas. But when did you ever smile when you had gas? No, my friend, babies are fresh from God. How can they help but smile?

3 comments:

Sheila said...

Bob,
Thanks for your E-mail. I run into blogs I like and forget to bookmark them. I remedied that and will return to see how this venture into grandparenthood goes. You see, my son and daughter-in-law are also expecting in late May. How about that? Our first too. Right now the newest member of the family is described by his food magazine editor mom as spaghetti squash sized.

Chicago is so far away at a time like this. I'm glad you could see your little granddaughter via the ultra sound.

Proudparent said...

Bob,
I am glad that you were able to see your granddaughter. I have also had the opportunity to view a 3D Ultrasound of my daughter and I found it hard to see the baby as well. It is just as you describe it when looking for that precious life inside the mother. You are not the only one who has had trouble, I have to as well. Very nice post and good luck to you. I know you will be a great grandparent to her.

Anonymous said...

Although I can't imagine the joy you must feel as a grand parent, I know the joy I felt as the expecting mom was amazing. I had a 3D ultrasound done as well. It was a gift from a friend while my husband was deployed in Iraq. I was able to send him the pictures and it really helped him to be a part of the pregnancy. We went to this great place in oak park illinois called First Peek Ultrasound. The tech there was amazing and I wish I didn't have to leave. I start to well up with tears just thinking about seeing my baby on the screen, and being able to see what was going on in the womb. My son had his hands in front of his face at first but then the tech gave me some chocolate and he put his hands down and started moving around. This was hilarious to me because both my husband and I are chocoholics. If anyone has to get an ultrasound, I would definately recommend this place. their website address is www.oakparkultrasound.com