Sunday, April 19, 2009

Corn Cobs

The tailless squirrel returned this weekend. I hadn't seen him in a few weeks and wondered what had become of him. He wandered into the yard hopping like a rabbit and headed for my wildlife feeding area. I keep a couple of bird feeders there and pour some seed on the ground for the doves as well as some fruit for the mockingbirds. I also drop a few ears of hard corn, the kind grown as silage and made for squirrels.

The tailless one headed straight for one of those ears, picked it up in his front paws and began munching on it the same as a human would, grasping it firmly and working his way from one end of the ear to the other. All he lacked was butter and salt. After a while, he decided it would taste better if eaten closer to his own home, so he picked up the ear and headed across the street with it, although with a bit of difficulty as he had not calculated the full weight of his quarry.

But he finally did manage to make it to the neighbor's yard and I lost sight of him. Now I wonder what my neighbors will think when they find an empty corn cob tossed carelessly in the yard, and which one will get the blame for leaving it there.

No comments: