Friday, April 10, 2009

Morels

I had my first encounter with a morel mushroom last weekend. I had never seen one before except in pictures so I was excited, especially since the finds are rare. I wrote about the experience on freshare.net and you can read that article here: The Morel of the Story.

What was surprising to me was that morels didn't taste as exotic as I expected. I thought I would discover a musky, woodsy kind of flavor but what I got was a mushroom so mild it barely tasted like a mushroom at all. I mean, it was good and I ate my share but I expected something, I don't know, maybe stronger in flavor? Something that would linger on my taste buds.

But don't read this as total disappointment. I'll be back after the oddly interesting little fungi same time next year.

No comments: